About the Diocese
Since settlement began in the late twenties of the nineteenth century, Spanish, French, Irish, Austrian, Scottish, English, Belgian, Italian, Polish, Indian, Sri Lankan and Filipino priests have worked in the Diocesan area. The Diocese contains about one sixth of the population of Western Australia, somewhat unevenly distributed over 26 parishes. Most of the population lives on the coast, and those who do not live there permanently, endeavour to go to the coast for holidays, usually in the Spring and Summer. The size of the Diocese can best be grasped when it is expressed as one and a half times as big as England. Comprising the whole of the South Western portion of the State of Western Australia below the 32 45’6” parallel of South Latitude; bounded on the West by the Indian Ocean and the Great Australian Bight.
Fifty years after the foundation of the Anglican Diocese of Bunbury a Catholic Diocese, centred on the same town, came into existence in 1954 and on 12th November of that year Bishop Launcelot John Goody, DD, D.Ph., was appointed the first Bishop of the new Diocese.
He was born in the home of his parents Ernest John and Agnes Goody (nee Buckeridge) at 9 Bury Street, Edmonton, North London on 5th June 1908 and baptised soon after in St Michael’s Church of England in the same district. When the effects of creeping spinal paralysis began to be felt Ernest Goody was advised by his brother-in-law in Perth WA to join him there. Consequently, Dr Goody, his parents and sister left for Australia via Cape Town aboard the “Orontes” on 2nd June 1916.
Having written to Archbishop Clune of Perth before leaving England, the family were met soon after arrival by his representative, Rev. Lawrence Pace who later received all into the church. Having expressed a desire to study for the priesthood, Dr Goody was sent to Rome for study in September 1924 and was ordained there on St Thomas’ Day 1930. He spent 14 pioneering years in Bunbury and was appointed Archbishop of Perth in 1968.
The Most Rev. Myles McKeon was the second Bishop of Bunbury. He was born at Drummin, Westport, Country Mayo, Ireland on 3rd April 1919 to John and Bridget McKeon (nee O’Toole). After completing his secondary studies at St Jarlath’s College, Tuam, he attended University College, Dublin and All Hallows Seminary in the same city. He was ordained for the Archdiocese of Perth on 22nd June 1947 at All Hallows.
Bishop Myles McKeon took over the Diocese in 1969 and 13 years later retired due to ill health. Bishop Peter Quinn came to Bunbury in 1969 and 13 years later retired due to ill health. Bishop Peter Quinn came to Bunbury in 1982 and retired in 2001.